Metropolitan Cookie Policy

We have published a new cookie policy. It explains what cookies are and how we use them on our site. To learn more about cookies and their benefits, please view our cookie policy.

If you'd like to disable cookies on this device, please view this page. Please be aware that parts of the site will not function correctly if you disable cookies.

By closing this message, you consent to our use of cookies on this device in accordance with our cookie policy unless you have disabled them through your browser.


Options for Residents

Right to Acquire (RTA)

This option offers tenants of homes in London that have been developed by or transferred to Housing Associations since 1st  of April 1997 the opportunity to buy their home with a mortgage and/or savings with a discount of £16,000.

You will need to have been a social tenant for at least five years to qualify and you can't buy your home through the Right to Acquire scheme if:

  • You are being made bankrupt
  • A court has ordered you to leave your home
  • You are a council tenant – you may be able to get discounts on buying your home through the ‘Right to Buy’ scheme.

If you are currently renting a property from Metroplitan and would like to find out if you can buy your rented home through Right to Acquire please contact the After Sales Portfolio Team, Monday to Friday, between 9am and 5.30pm on 020 3535 2700. If you are a tenant with another housing association you must contact your landlord directly to find out if you are eligible to buy your home. 

Download - A Guide to Right to Acquire.

Right to Buy

Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount. Use the eligibility checker on the Right to Buy website to find out if you can apply.

You can apply to buy your council home if:

  • it’s your only or main home
  • it’s self-contained
  • you’re a secure tenant
  • you’ve had a public sector landlord (eg a council, housing association or NHS trust) for 5 years - it doesn’t have to be 5 years in a row

Joint applications

You can make a joint application with:

  • someone who shares your tenancy
  • up to 3 family members who’ve lived with you for the past 12 months (even if they don’t share your tenancy)

Ex-council homes

If your home used to be owned by the council, but they sold it to another landlord (like a housing association) while you were living in it, you may still have the Right to Buy. This is called ‘Preserved Right to Buy'. Ask us if this applies to you.

Visit: GOV.UK for more information.


´╗┐If you're already a Metropolitan home owner through Shared Ownership and are considering staircasing, or have another after sales enquiry, visit our 'Guide to Buying' page for further information.

I like this
I dislike this

You like this Article

Ratings for this Article (1 total)